The HOCATT was invented in South Africa by Andre Hugo Smith. He visualized a system which would deliver several, well recognized, health benefits simultaneously, in a short session. He sought out various health experts to determine what such a system should deliver to provide those attributes. Exactly how to deliver those benefits was another matter. Ultimately it was determined that a chamber in which a person sat, and which covered the entire body (except the head and neck) would be the most appropriate device to deliver the health benefits recommended by the various experts he consulted. The result was the multimodality chamber named the HOCATT.
What is the meaning of the name?
HOCATT stands for Hyperthermic Ozone & Carbonic Acid Transdermal Therapy. What it does, and the various modalities contained in the chamber, are described below.
Each modality in the Hocatt has contraindications. Fortunately each modality can be left off or adjusted to suit each individual's needs. You will be required to fill out the Tillman Health Spa intake form before you have your first session and agree to the terms specified so we know how to set the modalities to your specific needs.
Carbonic Acid (CO2) Contraindications
- Low Blood Pressure
- Taking Blood Pressure Medications
These are relative contraindications. By taking your blood pressure before entering the Hocatt chamber we can leave CO2 off or decrease the minutes that it infuses.
Transdermal Ozone Contraindications
- G6PD deficiency (Favism)/ hemolytic anemia
- Organ Transplant patient i.e. taking immune suppression medication
- Cutaneous porphyria (transdermal only)
- Vitiligo (transdermal only)
Far Infrared/Steam Sauna Contraindications
Avoid these problems Just before sauna:
- Low blood sugar levels (empty stomach)
- Heavy meal in last 30 minutes
- Little or no sleep
- Active Bleeding (from an injury)
- Menstruation - wear underwear and use tampon when menstruating
- Elevated blood alcohol or drug levels
- Excessive caffeine intake - avoid before sauna
- Bleeding tendencies e.g. haemophiliacs
- Use cautiously at lower temperatures in children (12-18 Years)
- Taking medications that impair sweating and/or increase the health risks from heat exposure
- Heat sensitivity
- Known heart conditions e.g. heart failure; heart blockages; recent heart attack etc
- Uncontrolled and/or malignant high blood pressure
- Hypotension (keep temperature below 38 degree C)
- Persons taking blood pressure medication will be monitored to watch for blood pressure drops.
- Epilepsy and/or seizures
- Electrical implants e.g. pacemaker; cochlear implant; intrathecal pump; insulin pump; etc
- Known heart conditions e.g. heart failure; heart blockages; recent heart attack; arrhythmias; etc.
- Blood clots/DVT'S OR STROKES
- Recent surgery (past 72 hours)
- Implanted metals e.g. pins; plates; screws; joint replacements; mechanical heart valves; metal stents; or staples in blood vessels; etc
- An injury (where you may still be bleeding)
- Broken; injured; swollen; inflamed; or infected skin on the hands or feet
- Cancerous/malignant tissue
What does it do?
While you relax in the warmth and restful atmosphere of the Hocatt, your body receives health boosting and regenerating support from the 8 different modalities operating at the same time during your session.
Electrical, thermal or mechanical energy that causes physiological changes
The combination of modalities act together to powerfully detoxify and oxygenate tissues, improve circulation, boost energy and strengthen the immune system.
Carbon dioxide flows into the Hocatt chamber for the first 1 to 3 minutes of a session, where it combines with the steam (water vapor) to form carbonic acid. By dilating the skin pores and increasing circulation, carbonic acid prepares the body to readily absorb ozone through the skin.
Following the CO2, ozone flows into the chamber for the rest of the session. Ozone scrubs out the toxic metals and chemicals buried deep in the tissues and eliminates the unfriendly organisms hanging out with the toxins. It powerfully oxygenates the tissues, strengthens the immune system, reduces pain and inflammation, and more, to regenerate the body.
Far Infrared Sauna
Ahhh, the infrared sauna delivers luxurious relaxation, warmth, relief to tense muscles and is seven times more detoxifying than conventional steam saunas.
Steam flowing into the Hocatt chamber adds to the warmth and moisture that facilitates the actions of the other modalities.
The Hocatt has 133 microcurrent programs that can be set to whatever support the body needs, such as: liver, kidney or adrenal support; lymphatic drainage; detoxification and many others.
By putting a few drops of an essential oil on a gauze and then placing it on the steamer plate the sweet aroma of the particular essential oil chosen fills the chamber.
Full Spectrum Lights
Ever changing colors of beautiful lights bounce around inside the chamber throughout the session.
While Breathing Pure Oxygen
The boost of breathing pure oxygen provides the tissues with more power to repair and regenerate.